The Museum contains historical logging equiment such as saws and related materials. Artifacts from everyday life--from dressforms to furniture to fine china--are also exhibited.
The Little River sawmill is in the foreground, above. The hills along Little River were covered with large old growth redwood, and the first mill was built in the early 1860s by Silas Coombs, Ruel Stickney and Tapping Reeves. Lumbering was the mainstay of the community, and most of the timber was felled quickly over the first decade and gone from the lower reaches of the watershed. In the image below from 1889, the logged slopes are evident behind the picnicking group.